Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Medical Update--Mary Ellen Dussouy

This is the latest info on Mary Ellen...

The doctors have decided that I am in the group that will benefit from chemo. So....that will be what we do. I am scheduled for several tests next week.

On June 9th I will go in to have the port put in. My doctor says that even though I will only have 4 treatments, the chemo will destroy the veins in my arm, and since I only have one arm they can use, they feel this is the easiest and safest way. I had the port last time, and it worked out great. Once the port is in, they want to start chemo. So I guess sometime after the 9th it will begin.

I am also scheduled to meet with a genetic counselor. This doctor will determine if I should have a gene test to see if I test positive for this cancer gene.(Again, depending on the insurance company) I will meet with him on June 13. I know he will be asking questions about family history. Have you heard of anyone in our family having breast cancer. I would imagine he will also want to know about any other types of cancer. I know there has been some, but not sure exactly what kind. I feel the more information I can give him, the easier it will be for him make a decision.

Once I have been tested, if I test positive, then they will know what gene to look for in family members.

Well, here I go again.... beginning my journey. The good thing this time is it is only 4 treatments instead of 8. And no radiation!!!!!
Plus I have a great peaceful get away place.

I will keep you posted.

love
mary

No comments: